Now that the cold weather has passed, welcome to planting season!
It’s time to return to nature with the birds, butterflies, and bees and start prepping your garden! Now is the time to get all of your trees and shrubs in the ground. Be sure to plant with a Success Kit to give them the best start possible.
What you’ll need this month:
- Pruners – a nice set of pruners, along with some alcohol wipes to disinfect them to avoid spreading disease throughout the garden.
- Fertilizers – we recomend Organic Espoma products, and carry a large selection for all your gardening needs.
- Containers or pots – we have a pretty impressive selection of pottery to build a beautiful container garden. We can also build it for you, just ask!
- Soil and Mulch – you can never have enough soil, mulch and amendments in the garden. Need a lot? We deliver!
- Plants! – If we sell it, now is the time to plant it. Shop our online store, or come on in and start planting today.
Time to prune
Pruning will encourage new growth to flush out, and as long as all threat of frost has passed, you will want to do this now.
A general rule of thumb for most shrubs and perennials is to cut branches back about one-third of the way and shape as necessary.
Need pruners? We’ve got you covered!
It’s time to fertilize.
Espoma natural slow-release fertilizers allow plants to take up more of the nutrients, and are safer for the environment as well. There are formulations for many types of plants.
Plant your potted poinsettias
Still have your Christmas poinsettias? Now is the time to plant them in your yard for years of enjoyment. Plant them where they will receive at least a half-day of sun and total darkness at night (away from artificial light) so that they’ll bloom at the proper time each year.
Plant a butterfly garden!
With the warmer temperatures the butterflies are returning, and it’s a great time to plant a butterfly garden! Be sure to visit our butterfly house for ideas on what to plant to attract these beauties.
Update your container gardens
Spring is a great time to spruce up your patio or deck with container gardens.
Flowers, vegetables, and herbs grow wonderfully in containers, especially when planted with Happy Frog Potting Soil – a combination of earthworm castings, bat guano, aged forest products, and beneficial microbes and fungi to help break down organic matter to feed the plant roots.
Annuals and Perennials to Plant now
• bush daisies
• Dahlberg daisy
• diamond frost euphorbia
• dune sunflowers
• gerbera daisies
• marguerite daisies
Vegetables and herbs to plant now
Don’t forget to check out the farmer’s market to check out this month’s great selection of organic + local produce, vendor products, and a variety of culinary delights.